Saturday, June 30, 2012

Katie Wong: Evolution through Embroidery


“I invest in the making [of the shirt], he invests further power in the recognition, which further inspires me.
An upward spiral. The evolution continues.”
–Alexandra Hart on embroidering her husband’s shirt
           
            Alexandra Hart’s foreword to the book Native Funk and Flash inspired me more than many other thousands of pages of readings because Alexandra inspired me to create. In her description of embroidering her husband’s shirt, I was blown away by the pure love that seemed to flow out of every word. Her creation represented more than a fashion statement or piece of art it was a direct representation of their lives sewn with the love. That very day after reading Alexandra’s moving words, I went to my local art store and bought embroidery needles, a pack of multicolored embroidery thread and an embroidery hoop. My own creativity had been ignited even before I was certain of a specific topic to study for this Counter Couture class.

            Once I had decided to combine work and pleasure, the aim for this project became: to learn a new skill, understand the meanings of various motifs of the 1960s counter culture and to gain insight of the significance of Alexandra’s embroidered shirt for a very important era in United States history. In order to learn the art of embroidery I checked out various books from the University of Washington library system including many embroidery and cross-stitch how to guides published in the late 1960s and early 1970s. I checked out many different ‘picture books’ of ethnic Indian embroidery, which absolutely took my breath away. I was quite surprised by the variety of techniques that one can use to embroider.

            The various designs, techniques and embellishments that I have sewn into this shirt have very much come to represent various facets of my life, and of the individual in which I have made this for. The shirt is an embodiment of who we are; each patch or part needs to be decoded separately from the rest.

            The process of embroidering a shirt for a loved one has truly been, to use Alexandra’s word, an evolution. In learning the craft of embroidery, a skill I had never even before this year even heard of, I have found patience, craftsmanship and creativity. I would never have thought that such of project would have also brought me even closer to the individual I made it for. And of course, like all evolutions, this one is never truly complete. It is a continuous process that I plan to keep up with the evolutions of our lives.

At the bottom of the left sleeve are two embroidered hearts. People who wear their heart of their sleeve express their emotions freely and openly for all to see. And this shirt is a free and open expression of both mine and his emotions for all to see.








Artist Katie Wong

No comments:

Post a Comment